So I was almost pleased last week when my hand knitted socks developed holes, as it was a nice excuse to sew them up.
I finished these back in September, so they've only been going for six months, but I do wear them a lot, usually as a second pair over the top of a smaller pair in walking boots. I wear waling boots most days, and I walk a lot, so they've had a good run. But given how long it took me to make them, I wasn't about to throw them away. Instead, a bit of slightly shoddy non-expert darning was called for.
In case they don't though, I've started a new pair.
I'm using a new (to me) pattern this time as neither of the two I've tried before have been wholly satisfactory. This time I'm following Winwick Mum's Sockalong pattern - I'm far too late to join in with everyone else but the pattern is well written and easy, and if you're a knitter who fancies a go at socks I'd highly recommend it.
I'm using Fair Isle effect wool this time, although I confess I'm not seeing much other than vague stripey-ness at the minute (nothing wrong with stripes of course, but I was expecting a bit more fancy). Maybe the fancier stuff will appear soon...
We're also nearing the end of the big jobs that we need dust sheets for, so I kept the two that were in the best shape, and some of the rest I cut up for rags. We use a lot of rags at the minute too - for wiping up paint spills, cleaning brushes, dusting after sanding and all manner of other grubby tasks. Half an hour with a pair of scissors while talking to some friends and I had a nice useful basket which should see us through a few weeks at least.
I can't imagine how exciting it's going to be to dig my stash out of the cellar when we finally move. I might make a 'new house' quilt in celebration.